REMEMBER THE 1960’S

Posted By
KATHERINE , Canada, REMEMBER THE 1960’S

What I remember about the 60’s was wearing bell bottom pants and belts with peace symbols on them. Psychedelic colors and tie dying were in style and I listened to Simon and Garfunkel’s “Sounds of Silence”, “Mrs. Robinson” and “I am a Rock, I am an Island”. Other music that I played was by Gordon Lightfoot, and Leonard Cohen. My father used to say that it was depressing stuff. I remember that it was popular back then to make crafts like collages and macramé plant hangers. A lot of the kids at school were experimenting with drugs like pot, speed, and LSD although I never did because I was scared of street drugs. Everyone back then seemed to be into the peace movement and there was more concern about a nuclear war then than there is today. Credence Clearwater Revival, Joan Baez, and Bob Dylan were popular folk singers in the 60’s and articulated our generation’s social concerns. One particular song that was sung a lot then had the lyrics, “Don’t you believe we’re on the eve of destruction?”

I remember that the 60’s were my when my family and I watched Neil Armstrong land on the moon. We were glued to the lunar landing for hours on our floor model black and white T.V. . Our old T.V. used to scare me because sparks would fly out from the side of it and I was scared it would burn the house down, even though my father said that the sparks were harmless. The 60’s was also the decade when President Kennedy was shot and the Beatles were popular. Also, A & W had their drive- in a few miles from our house and it used to be a treat to order onion rings, a burger, and root beer. The waitresses were on roller skates and you ate your fast food meal under a canopy. During that time period I wrote a lot of poetry, learned to play guitar, and did a lot of oil painting and drawing. It was a creative time for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment